Tynemouth RNLI lifeboat station

Rescue Mission To Assist Injured Ship’s Crewman

Photo: Owen Humphries/PA

Tynemouth RNLI lifeboat assisted in a bid to rescue a badly injured ship’s crewman on Thursday afternoon.

Humber Coastguard received a distress call at 14:10 from the ship Brasschaat, anchored 1.5 miles off Whitley Bay, after a crewman suffered serious injuries after reportedly falling from height.

The all weather lifeboat was requested to launch but to wait for paramedics from the North East Ambulance Service’s Hazardous Area Response Team. Once they arrived, the three paramedics were sped to the ship. Boarding the 180m 31,800 tonne Brasschaat was made difficult by a 2-3m swell but the paramedics and a lifeboat crew member went on board and took over CPR from the ship’s crew.

Coastguard Rescue Helicopter 912 had also been tasked and arrived on scene soon after, having picked up a doctor at Durham Tees Valley airport en route from their Humberside airport base.

Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the paramedics, the injured man died from his injuries and the helicopter was stood down after landing one of the paramedics ashore at Tynemouth.

The lifeboat stood by to take off the remaining two paramedics from the ship but they were instructed to remain with the deceased casualty which is standard procedure in sudden death incidents, until police take over the scene. The lifeboat crew member was then taken off and the lifeboat was then re-tasked by Humber Coastguard to another service off Marsden.

Once that service was completed, the lifeboat returned to the Tyne and refuelled while discussions took place as to the practicality of the paramedics remaining on board the Brasschaat. Eventually it was agreed that the lifeboat would return to the ship and bring them off which was done by 19:00.

The Brasschaat came into the Tyne at 23:30 and docked at Northumbrian Quay where police boarded to start their investigation.

Lifeboat: 17-20 Spirit of Northumberland